An Expositional Sermon
1 Timothy 1:12-20
“Why Jesus Came”
Theme/Big Idea: The foundation of pastoral ministry and of how a church lives together is the salvation accomplished and applied through Jesus Christ.
Aim/Appropriation/Application: Pray that God would be glorified in our thanksgiving, in our joy that Jesus saves sinners, in our submission to His sovereign rule, in our fighting for faith, in our discipline, and that as this text takes root in our unity that the world would know that Jesus is the Son of God.
Why did Jesus Come?
(1) For Our Thanksgiving (1 Timothy 1:12-14)
(2) To Save Sinners (1 Timothy 1:15-16)
(3) To Display God’s Sovereign Rule (1 Timothy 1:17)
(4) So that We Might Fight (1 Timothy 1:18-20)
Questions for Further Reflection
(1) Why did Jesus come? Why do others say that Jesus came? Why do you say that Jesus came?
(2) Do you ever consider your heart and what you deserve for your sin? Does the fact that Jesus bore what you deserve drive you to thankfulness?
(3) Do you ask along with the song How Sweet and Aweful: “Why was I made to hear Thy voice, and enter while there’s room, while thousands make a wretched choice, and rather starve than come?”
(4) Why did the second person of the one Triune God become incarnate? Why did Jesus come into the world?
(5) What displays the glory of this God? What causes boasting and praise to issue to Him alone and not to us? The way that He saves the chief of sinners.