An Expositional Sermon
An Expositional Sermon
Theme: The gospel is the good news of how we can be saved from God’s wrath for our sin through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
Aim: Repent and believe in the gospel.
(1) God – The gospel is God’s righteousness revealed (Romans 1:1-17)
a. There is a God
b. The gospel is God’s message
i. The gospel is the message that was foretold (Romans 1:1-3; 3:21)
ii. The gospel is a message about God’s Son, Jesus Christ (Romans 1:9)
iii. The gospel is a message (Romans 1:1, 5-6, 9, 11-15)
iv. The gospel has power toward all who believe (Romans 1:16)
v. The gospel reveals God’s righteousness (Romans 1:17)
(2) Man – The gospel demands an understanding of God’s wrath for man’s unrighteousness (1:18-3:20)
a. God is wrathful for unrighteousness (Romans 1:18-32)
b. God judges the secrets of men by Jesus Christ (Romans 2:1-29)
c. No human being will be justified in God’s sight by works of the law (Romans 3:1-20)
(3) Christ – The gospel is God’s saving righteousness for His people in Jesus Christ (Romans 3:21-3:31)
a. Righteousness apart from the law
b. What are you trusting in for salvation?
(4) Response – The gospel demands that all mankind repent and believe in Jesus Christ (1:5, 17, 25, 28; 2:1-5, 4, 7, 8; etc.)
An Expositional Sermon Shane Walker is the pastor of Andover Baptist Church in Linthicum, Maryland. He grew up in Iowa, and graduated from the University of Iowa in 1996. He holds a Master of Divinity degree from The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. He and his wife, Kimberly, have four children: Hannah, Malee, James, and John Calvin.
Theme: Baptism is the immersing of believers in Jesus Christ united them to the church and is a picture of conversion from sin to Jesus Christ.
Aim: Let us be found faithful as we practice baptism corresponding to faith in Christ, an appeal for a good conscience washed clean through the blood of Christ.
(1) A Picture of Conversion (Romans 5-6)
(2) Immersion In Water (Matthew 13:13-17; Romans 6:3-11)
(3) For Repenting Believers In Jesus Christ (Matthew 3:6, 11; Mark 1:4; Luke 3:3; Acts 8:12-13; 18:8; )
(4) Union to Church (Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 2:41-42; 1 Corinthians 12:12-13)
a. What about infant baptism?
(5) Baptism Doesn’t Save You (1 Peter 3:21)