An Expositional Sermon
“God Is a Stronghold for the Oppressed”
Theme/Big Idea: God’s people respond to God with thanks, trust, telling, asking for God’s grace, acknowledging His judgment, and asking Him to not let men prevail
Aim/Appropriation/Application: Pursue maturity in Christ by responding to God in the 5 ways listed below in the outline.
(1) Give Thanks and Praise to God (Psalm 9:1-2)
(2) Put Your Trust in God (Psalm 9:3-10)
(3) Tell God’s Deeds Among the Peoples (Psalm 9:11-12)
(4) Ask for God’s Grace So God Would be Praised (Psalm 9:13-18)
(5) Ask God to Not Let Men Prevail (Psalm 9:19-20)
Questions for Further Study and Application:
(1) What are the ways that you tell of and give praise to God?
(2) Do you sing to the Lord? What are the things that keep you from singing?
(3) God’s enemies and the enemies of His people will perish. Is this an encouragement to you? Why or why not?
(4) Where will you be found when God’s judgment has come to fully and finally pass?
(5) Do you tell God’s deeds among the peoples? What is your driving motivation?
(6) What are your motivations for asking God to be gracious to you? Does this align with the David’s desire to see God praised, or does your desire for God’s grace in your life align more with a selfish desire to take it as an opportunity to indulge the flesh?
(7) Why is it a good thing to ask God to not let men prevail? Why is it a good thing for men and women that God would prevail and not men?